Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cthulhu!

Alrighty then. So I pretty much destroyed my last sculpture when I was taking it out of the plaster mold (which was pretty lousy itself) but I learned a number of things that I did wrong. The best thing to do now is to start over and correct those mistakes. This time I'm going to choose a different object to sculpt because I'm kind of tired of thinking about that last bust. I've been running a couple ideas about what I want to make, and I think I want to try to do a bust of Cthulhu. Cthulhu is a fictional character in a number of HP Lovecraft stories. The author wrote in the early 20th century and pretty much invented the genre of surreal or weird horror. Cthulhu is mentioned in a number of stories that are now usually referred to as the Cthulhu Mythos. He is an elder god that is believed to live deep under the black waves in the lowest pits of the oceans on Earth. As the story goes, Cthulhu waits, dreaming, in his sunken city of R'lyeh somwhere in the Pacific ocean. He is typically depicted as a bipedal humanoid creature with the head of an octopus and the wings of a bat. A favorite quote from the Cthulhu Mythos goes something like this:

"That which is dead can eternal lie, but in strange eons even death may die."
                                                                             -H.P. Lovecraft

I looked online for some sculptures that others have done, and wasn't surprised to find A LOT. Here are some of the ones I thought were kinda cool. 





No comments:

Post a Comment